for students in 8-12th Grades
As we strive to encourage our youth and have them make informed decisions when it comes to their faith, we have a mandatory minimum 80% attendance rate in order to participate in Confirmation. Any missed lesson is to be reviewed with your Confirmation mentor.
Confirmation Class Update:
In light of the surge of Covid cases in our community and the current state of emergency order in Henrico County, the start date of this year’s confirmation class has been delayed. We will begin the classes on February 13, hopefully giving ourselves enough time for the present situation to abate. The new schedule will run through May 15. The exciting news is that registration for confirmation is still open. You may now register for the student class up until Feb. 6. The new schedule is listed below. If you have any questions, while Jenna is on Maternity Leave, please feel free to contact Amy Lenow at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sundays in the Student Center 10:00-10:50 AM
- 2/13 – Confirmation Kick off 10:00 – 10:50 AM- Session 1: Meet Your Bible
- 2/20 – Confirmation Class 10:00-10:50 AM – Session 2: The Story of God
- 2/27 – Confirmation Class 10:00 – 10:50 AM- Session 3: Holy Trinity
- 3/6 – Confirmation Class 10:00 – 10:50 AM- Session 4: Relationship:Broken
- 3/13 – Confirmation Class 10:00-10:50 AM- Session 5: Israel: God’s Chosen People
- 3/20 – Confirmation Class 10:00-10:50 AM- Session 6: Jesus: God with Us
- 3/27 – Confirmation Class 10:00-10:50 AM- Session 7: Relationship: Restored
- 4/10 -Confirmation Class 10:00-10:50 AM- Session 8: The Promise of Resurrection
- 4/24 – Confirmation Class 10:00-10:50 AM- Sessions 9 & 10: What’s Yet to Come?/ What is the Church
- 5/1 -Confirmation Class 10:00-10:50 AM- Sessions 11&12 Prayer/ Partnering with God’s Mission
- 5/15 – Confirmation Class & Lunch 12:00 – 2:00 PM- Sessions 13 & 14: Inviting Others into God’s Story/ Why the Church?
- 6/4 – Confirmation Rehearsal & Celebration Dinner for youth, families and mentors
- 6/5 – Confirmation Day at Worship Service of Confirmand’s choice
WHAT IS A CONFIRMATION MENTOR?
As part of the Confirmation process, the Confirmands participate in a program of sharing their faith journey with a “Mentor.” A “Mentor” or “Faith Friend,” is a Christian adult that the Confirmand feels comfortable with and can share their journey of faith with through Bible study, outings and time spent together.
The Mentor may be an aunt, uncle, neighbor or any other adult. The Mentor does not have to be a member of Trinity UMC. Parents should not be the mentor of their own child, as mentors are meant to allow the youth to develop other figures of faith in their lives. However, parents are encouraged to be participating in discussions of faith with their Confirmand.
We desire for our youth to have faith that “sticks”. The Fuller Youth Institute research shows that youth need 5 or more adult faith mentors in their lives to give them the best chance at having a faith that sticks. Though parents still maintain the number one influence in their child’s life, it is crucial that youth have other adults in their lives who model faith, support them in hardship and are willing to talk about the things that matter in life.
Someone who is continually growing in their relationship with Jesus Christ and active in their faith.
Minimum of 10 guided discussions, approximately 1 hour per session. Additional time spent with the Confirmand is desired and encouraged.
- Pray for the Confirmand’s spiritual growth
- Attend Confirmation Luncheon Rehearsal & the Confirmation Worship Service
- Serving as an adult during Confirmation class welcomed but not required.