Approximately 40 Trinity members made it out to the Muslim Community Center of Chesterfield on Sunday afternoon to participate in an “interfaith conversation” with members of Temple Beth-El, in addition to the members of the Muslim Center. We enjoyed delicious refreshments, then we were guided in a time of “Scriptural Reasoning” based on the scripture passages and the passage in the Quran which highlighted Abraham’s hospitality (Genesis 18:1-8, Hebrews 13:1-2).
Insights gathered from our time together included:
- Hospitality helps us honor the dignity of one another
- Hospitality encourages us to give the very best
- Hospitality encourages us to care for other people
- An element of risk comes with extending hospitality
- Social interaction is hampered these days with technology (especially with cell phones)
- Hospitality carries with it a deep spiritual dimension
We were recipients of wonderful hospitality at the Muslim Community Center, and as guests we presented our hosts with gifts of bread and flowers. In return, they presented the rabbi of Temple Beth-El and our own Pastor Larry Lenow with a white rose bush.
We hope there will be more opportunities for us to gather together as different faith communities. We came away learning that we have more in common than differences.
See photos from the event: